You are such a big girl! This has been such a fun month as our summer is winding down. We've had lots of time inside as the Houston temps are usually triple digits lately. Yuck! Here are some fun things about your 10th month that we want to remember.
- We started the tenth month with our annual BSB trip. This is a group of nine very special families - Granna and Grandad went to Baylor with the parents, and all the kids have grown up together. You had a blast with everyone. You were so social with all 40+ people there and didn't mind being passed around. You also got to play with Emma! She is about 8 months older than you, and she just kept saying "Maaa-a-lin!" Her mommy told me she still talks about you all the time!
- It takes you forever to fall asleep. You talk and talk and talk sometimes for an hour, even when you seem exhausted before I put you in your bed. You are very peaceful, you just take your time. Sometimes you whisper, sometimes you shout, sometimes you have a melodic, sing-song voice, but you just babble and babble. Yesterday Granna was over while Mommy was feeding you a banana. Granna kept saying "Ba-na-na" and you would repeat the syllables with "uh-nuh-nuh." So amazing!
- You continue to eat us out of house and home. We recently had some changes in your feeding - we stopped breastfeeding last week. If Mommy had known that was our last time, she might've gotten emotional! However, you and I are both ready for this stage to pass - you were losing interest and not getting enough milk, so now it is all bottles for you. Mommy still pumps and you get about half of your milk from me and half of your milk is formula. What a healthy little cocktail! You also have now taken your 4pm feeding in a cup and it is more of a snack amount (4 oz.) You love the cup and you continue to love feeding yourself table food. You now have 8 very established teeth! I might be leaving some things out, but I think so far you've had:
- You've gotten to see a lot of your family lately - from the Deilys loving on you during BSB weekend and Granna Tuesdays to a visit with Nana in College Station. You've gotten to see Linnet a couple of times and even had your first art gallery visit to see some of your Great Uncle Tucker's work. Aunt Peggy, Kristen and Karoline played with you one day when we were in Cypress.
- You are so curious. You love to observe the world around you, and I think that is why you are so happy in the shopping cart (if only you could face away from Mommy, right?) You love seeing cars go by and today was a special treat when it was large trash pick up day. We sat on the bench on the porch and watched as two big trucks picked up large trash items with a huge claw! You loved it. You love chasing the cats. I think they enjoy you too because they spend a lot of time with us, and they are around for you to chase! You enjoy "non-toy" toys, like in this picture below - a pashmina that goes on the top of a trunk at the end of Mommy and Daddy's bed, Daddy's shoe horns and suit hanger! It is also fun for you to find new noises to make - banging on the stainless steel outside of the dishwasher, raking your fingers on the A/C intake grate, flicking doorstops around the house, etc. I have also put bird food and a bowl of water on the patio right outside our breakfast nook. You enjoy watching the birds and the squirrels while you eat your meals. We even saw a hummingbird the other day!
- You are doing a lot of standing on your own. Your cruising gets better and better. This was the first picture I got of you standing - it happened by accident, but look how cute you are! I think you will be walking any day now.
- Unfortunately this heat has given us a battle with yeast infections in your diaper. We have given you lots of baking soda baths and diaper-free time, crawling around in the bathroom or on the tile at Granna's. You've even had some diaper-free naps (whatever it takes!) The on-and-off infection doesn't seem to bother you much, but they give Mommy quite a lot to do.
- You know some more commands - "shake, shake, shake" you will shake your head back and forth or you will shake whatever is in your hand, clapping, and your cute little trick where you use your fingers to make a little motorboat sound with your lips. You are starting to give us smooches on command, but only when you want to. Today you and I were coming into the house, and while Mommy was unlocking the back door, you gave me a kiss on the cheek, totally unprompted, and then smiled so sweetly for me. I never want to forget it. You were so pleased that you did it two more times. Thank you, sweet baby, I love you too.
- Holding your own with big kids is not a problem. You follow them everywhere and don't seem to mind the occasional roughhousing or toy being taken away. You are not afraid of anything - again, just more curiosity. You climbed all the way up in the play gym at church, and the vacuum cleaner and hair dryer don't bother you a bit. The other day Mommy was pounding a nail into a picture frame very loudly, and you just watched.
- You are still very much in the "put everything in my mouth" phase. Sometimes you put a paper towel or napkin in there and you look like a little billy goat. You come by it honestly - here's a picture of your Mommy.
- We rearranged some rooms and furniture to make a playroom for you out of our old dining room! You love it and we love it too - what fun. You have bigger toys now, and Miss Tiffany let you borrow some toys that Archer and Ashton have outgrown. You love pushing them around.
- Sometimes Daddy puts your ABC block on your head, and you look like the Chiquita Banana lady.
- Other times, you decide to lay down while playing and just look like a chunk with your play remote. The times you are still are rare. Most of the time you are moving - you are not very cuddly, and changing your diaper wears us out! So so squirmy!
Madeleine, we love you so dearly!!